A Sneaky Rat Disrupts Plane Travel For Days

Sri Lankan Airlines has landed itself in the news after one of its flights was grounded for three days due to a rat sighting onboard the aircraft.

According to airline officials, the incident happened during a flight from Lahore, Pakistan to Bandaranaike International Airport in Colombo, Sri Lanka on Thursday, Feb. 22. The passengers and crew onboard the Airbus A330-300 were quite surprised when a rodent was spotted inside the cabin.

Sources at Sri Lankan Airlines confirmed that the plane was grounded for three days in the Sri Lankan capital while technicians carried out necessary checks. As a precautionary measure, the aircraft was sprayed with rat poison, and the wiring was inspected for any rodent damage. The airline made it clear that it was not going to risk flying the plane without making sure the rat was accounted for.

A spokesperson for Sri Lankan Airlines stated, “The plane could not be flown without making sure that the rat was accounted for. It was found dead.” The discovery of the deceased rat allowed for the plane to return to operation, but the three-day delay in service has caused disruptions to the airline’s schedule. With Sri Lankan Airlines being a small national carrier, the unexpected event has caused inconvenience to its passengers.

This is not the first time that rodents have caused havoc on planes. In a previous incident, passengers traveling from Bangkok to Taiwan on VietJet Air had to deal with an albino rat and a nearly 1-foot-long otter roaming around the cabin. The chaos reportedly started after a flight attendant spotted the two animals on the floor. A thorough search of the aircraft by the police upon landing in Taipei led to the discovery of a box containing 28 live turtles, a snake, one marmot, two otters, and two other unidentified rodents.

Upon further investigation, it was found that a female passenger was the mastermind behind the smuggling operation. The animals were believed to have been sneaked through the security at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Thailand. The woman now faces a hefty penalty of $31,000 for her actions. The incident caused quite a stir and raised questions about the security measures at the airport.

This recent incident with Sri Lankan Airlines once again brings the issue of airport security into the spotlight. Despite strict protocols, it seems that animals are still able to make their way onto planes. This poses a potential risk to passengers and can lead to significant delays and disruptions. The airline industry will need to step up its security measures to prevent such incidents from happening in the future.

In response to the incident, Sri Lankan Airlines has reassured its passengers that it is taking all necessary precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of its customers. The airline has also apologized for any inconvenience caused by the three-day delay in service. It is now back to business as usual for the airline, but this incident serves as a reminder that unforeseen events can disrupt even the most reliable of services.

As for the rat that caused all the chaos, it seems that its adventure came to a bitter end. Its unauthorized excursion not only caused delays and disruptions, but it also resulted in its own demise. With rodents proving to be a persistent problem in the airline industry, it is essential for airlines to constantly review and improve their security protocols to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here